The Meet the DJs campaign for Radio1 is an industry leading example of how an idea with a digital heart can grow beyond a place on the web.
The campaign started as a series of online films in which the specialist music DJs at Radio 1 shared their musical backgrounds and passions with their listeners. But as the drive to build the station's specialist music credentials grew, so did the campaign. From online through to TV ads, radio, into press, content for student television and cinema.
The campaign has been hailed a success across the BBC. Initial results include:
Online campaign attracted 10 – 20,000 unique users per week with an increase in DJ page views by 60,000 month on month
TV Trails – Millward Brown Study
- 61% say the trails tell them something new about Radio 1 (45% norm)
- 68% feel the station is relevant to them because of the trail (46% norm)
- 60% now believe Radio 1 has a wide range of credible DJs and music (54% norm)
Cinema – Tracking study results
- 55% prompted awareness
- 80% couldn’t fail to remember it was for Radio 1
- 84% agree that Radio 1 had strong range of credible music
- 51% claimed that the trail made them more inclined to listen in the future